Sunday, September 05, 2004

Day two of Three Day Weekend

Today is Sunday. There probably are chapel services today somewhere but no way to get to them. FT. Sill isn't a big post as far as how many people are here, but it is big geographically. You can't get anywhere on foot. Today will consist of reading and posting this blog.

I have been reading a book called "A Table in the Presence" by a navy Chaplin named Carey H. Cash. He was attached to the First Battalion, Fifth Marine Regiment and was among the first soldiers to cross the border into Iraq. I'm not going to go into detail about the book, but would encourage you to read it and comment on what you thought. It will give you a look at what was going on at the beginning of the war and what some of the soldiers were experiencing.

Some people have voiced some problems with being able to post a comment. Apparently I had it set so you had to have an ID and Password to blogspot to be able to post. I have changed that and now everyone is able to post a comment. All you have to do is click on the word comments at the end of whatever post you want to comment on and there you go. I would say use only your first name or initials but no last names. You don't have to put a name at all if you don't want to, but I would like to figure out how says what. I would suggest use your three initials or make something up that would be fun to figure out who it is.

I missed my family more than usual today. I don't know if it was because it was Sunday and we would all be going to church and then spending the day together or what. Probably it is because I have down time right now and am not mentally busy. There are people going through here from all different family makeups. Many are like me with a spouse and small children. Some have only been out of the military for less than a year and don't have a family. There are even people with grandchildren going through this. Imagine your grandparents being recalled into the military. One SSG (Staff sergeant E-6) with us has sons my age. He said his sons had a little bit of a hard time knowing their dad was going to Iraq instead of them. It seemed backwards to them. I guess Death, Taxes, and the Army don't really discriminate. The ones I feel the worst for are the mothers with infants at home. That is one part of your life you look forward to forever and once you get it it is taken away. I would almost volunteer to go if it meant a mother could stay home with their child.

Well, this is only a season in life and will soon be over. At lunch today we were all talking about being recalled and the impact it is having on our lives. The discussion turned to the fact that the majority of the people don't really want to be here but realize it's a duty and are going to try to make the best of it. I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the people that didn't show up.

Well, I've got a whole lot of nothing to do today so I better hurry up and not do it. I will enjoy it because I'm sure it's going to get pretty busy one I get off that plane in Kuwait on the way to Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home