Monday, June 27, 2005

Thank You Mr. Congressman

I guess I should have started the last blog with something like, "This is me venting and has nothing to do with my well being." Everybody here is in the Army so I can't really let off steam about the Army to them. So every once in a while I let it out in the blog. I don't mean to come off as negative, just need to let out some steam so it doesn't stay bottled up. So let me start this blog off with, "This is me venting and has nothing to do with my well being."

There was an order put out today by my Brigade that says all E-7s and above and Officers will receive Bronze Stars for being here. It doesn't say all E-7s and above and Officers will receive a Bronze star for something meritorious, but just that you will receive one because you're an E-7 or above. Not only do I think this is ridiculous for the obvious reason that it wasn't earned, but because it cheapens it for anyone who received it before. It's like saying everyone who finishes the NBA season and played at least one game gets a ring. Or maybe anyone who can either add and subtract, or complete a sentence using more than three words will get the Nobel Peace Prize, as long as they show up to the awards ceremony. I think the only person in America that deserves a prize for "just showing up" is Ralph Nader. Other than that you should actually have to do something. Oh, and by the way, all you E-6s and below thanks for coming along for the ride but we don't really appreciate anything you've done for us in this war effort. Well, other than all the work you did so we could get one of the highest Army awards there is. And remember to stand perfectly still at attention while we receive our awards. Because one day, if you work real hard and risk your life, maybe you too can get an award for just showing up. *

* (working hard and risking life optional, not available in all ranks, void where prohibited by law, award has no cash value, hazardous if swallowed, may depreciate in prestige if given as a blanket award)

Man, did I say that out loud?

I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't re enlist the first time around.

Oh well, I'm better now. This place is getting to me though. I would like my money back please, this ride kind of stinks.

Moving on to more positive things. Even though my hours have increased at work I've been able to schedule the time I do have off a little more tightly. I've been able to write a few more songs and I've been working out in the gym regularly. It's a lot easier to work out when you have other people to work out with. My motivation is higher if there are other people involved. I have not been able to get to the computer very much though. One day my blog will say something witty and retrospective about this whole experience from the comforts of my own living room. It'll probably sum up the entirety of this whole deal and outline all the positives that have come from it. Until then you'll have to endure my near bi-polar swings from positive and encouraging to "I can't believe people who do things this stupid actually remember to keep breathing" moments. Notice I didn't say the people are stupid, just the things they do. One thing is sure and constant though. God has been with me every step of the way. He has never given me more than I can handle. He has definitely helped me laugh at myself on many occasions. He's given me the courage to look at death and destruction and move on. He's also given me peace through it all. Peace is a very precious commodity right now, and I have more than I need. If anyone needs a little extra peace I'll give it to you for 500 dinar. As a little quiz does anyone know how much 500 dinar is worth? Answer in the comments if you know. All I know is that I don't know how people without God go through stuff like this? You can say I'm weak and need a crutch to lean on like God. And I'd probably say you're right. In fact I'm so weak I can't even prop myself up to lean on the crutch in the first place. I need a boost just to get to the crutch. Good thing Jesus is there to lift me up off the ground.

Anyway, my sanity wanes and clarity of thought eludes me. Disregard most of what I say but believe me when I say God is there for anyone who will receive him. Depression, addictions, failures, Cowboys fans, it doesn't matter. I guarantee if you try God on for size he'll fit and you'll never be the same. I dare you to try it. I double dare you. I Triple Dog Dare You.

10 Comments:

Blogger membrain said...

I've just come across your blog. If I was an E-6 I would be extremely pissed. What's the difference between an E-6 and an E-7? I agree completely that it cheapens the Bronze Star. Take care and thanks for serving.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,lets see: 250,000 Dinar is worth about $195. I think that's makes it a little more than your 2 cents worth and slightly less than a nickel:-)
Okay: I'll sign up for 2 cents worth of peace; every little bit helps.
good to hear the "sarcy" humor again.

louisa at dartmouth

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops that might be 39 cents. Okay; I'll take a nickel's worth.
whew; good thing I use a computer to generate numbers in the lab.
-louisa at dartmouth

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No idea how much a 500 dinar is worth, just trying to help your quiz. I don't think you've posted any pictures lately, you know how I love pictures so if you can and have any please do. Hope things get better for you soon, although I'm sure it will all only be better when you are back in the comforts of your own home and with your family. Praying God will speed the time and continue to keep you safe. scm

10:26 PM  
Blogger CDR Salamander said...

Anyway you can scan a copy of that order? It would be nice to send the source document up the flag pole and see who pukes.....you can email it to me and I will put on my blog if you want....
cdrsalamander@hotmail.com

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm so very, very sorry that the Army still hasn't fixed its shit from back when I was in.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, is there any way I can get a copy of that order? my email addy is fred dot schoeneman at gmail dot com

10:03 AM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

All E-7s get bronze stars, just for being there. What do the rest of you guys get? Probably the shit that rolls down hill!
I am outraged. Life is so unfair.
Do you think these medals will mean anything to these E-7s, when they know they really didn't earn them. They know that thousands did the same thing and got nothing.
Keep your chin up and come home safe. I want to read your coffe table rants. The one you are promising when you get home. Thank you for serving our country and God Bless...Cathy, Spc. Dan's mom

6:37 AM  
Blogger Erik Holtan said...

Dude,
Get this! We were FORCED to downgrade an 2 MSM's for SPC's and we were FORCED TO GIVE AN AWARD to someone we did not want to give to! And IT went from nothing to a FORCED ARCOM! And YES, WE HAVE THE POLICY ON BRONZE STARS ALSO!!!!!!! We must be in the same Brigade.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, same thing happened in my unit. everyone E7 and above got a bronze star, there were very, very few who actually deserved it.

And what did I as a E4 get? Absolutely nothing. No ARCOM, not even an AAM. Even though paperwork was submitted for an ARCOM, it just never happened.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home