Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Disclaimer


I must set the record straight. The last picture of me sitting in a chair was not taken in my room. My room is about 1/3 the size of the one in that picture. The room the picture was taken in belongs to a friend of mine who is a lieutenant. They get the nice rooms with the tile floors, we get the other kind. Anyway. I still promise to post the last round of What Would You Do but it takes time to come up with that stuff and time is something in short supply lately. So I'll buy myself a few more days with mindless rambling and a few pictures. This picture was taken as a submission to the Brigade yearbook. The three of us are the only ones from our little unit that are here away from the Brigade so we had to send our own picture in. The mustaches were from a previous exercise in pushing the limits of who can tell you what you can and can not do in the military. If there is any question as to who can and can not tell me what to do it would quickly be answered by the fact that I no longer have a mustache. It seems anyone can tell me what to do and I have to listen. Oh well, no skin off my back. Just hair off my lip. I didn't really like the mustache anyway.

I am so close to leaving this place I can hardly believe it. Looking back it seems like it flew by, but I can remember times I thought it would never come. I also remember times I was sure I wouldn't even make it out of here. All that is in the past and as long as I can go the very short distance we have left this will all be a few good memories and a bunch of stories who's accuracy will probably deteriorate as the years go by. This has been one amazing journey. I'll save all the sappy reflections for a later blog though. Until next time whenever you think of me think of me singing a little song I've made up that revolves around the quickly descending number of days I have left as I walk along with a big smile on my face thinking of the glorious September days just around the corner. But you have to picture it without the mustache. And no Army uniform, or weapon, or body armor, or ear plugs, or safety glasses, or helmet, or large Israeli bandage, small Israeli bandage, one handed tourniquet, or 210 rounds of ammunition, or radio, or gas mask, or anything else you have to carry to be a soldier.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you are showing us the real struggles you have had. . . deciding which "angel" to be. I was the martial arts angel in another life. I wanted to be the gun toting angel but didn't have my Glock with me for the wedding photos. Good times! Good times! The Mr. and I were thinking of you yesterday and I pulled weeds and he sprayed for bugs. Not that those chores had anything to do with you, just our minds wandered over the thousands of miles to you. Can't believe you are in the last days. Oh September Days! CnH

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't ever care which angel I was as long as it wasn't Kate Jackson. She was always the last one to get picked at recess. Somehow I always wanted to be Jacqueline Smith or Farrah Fawcett. Imagine that. M. Pads Coach

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the picture! post more, post more!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut up and come home !!
RDR

5:06 PM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

I am so glad to have read you this morning. My son, who is in the box, emailed me yesterday and said he is starting to think this will never end. He has 9 more months of this hell,left. I'll have to link you up to my site so he can read that you had the same thought, but it does end and you are coming home...again.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We commented about the moustaches and now we know. Didn't think Mrs. G would be too happy with it anyway. I will never forget when you had locks down to your shoulders and I was so embarrassed. Your peers thought it was great but I knew my peers would judge me as not having "my house in order." So, I'm glad Uncle Sam put his house in order....the moustaches had to go. Ha! Interesting how trivial that all now seems. Send us some Liberty pictures when you can. km

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home