Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Freedom Rest Day Three

Even though I call it day three it's really a recap of day two. After lunch I did spend quite a while out by the pool. To answer a question in one of the comments the orange cones by the ladders in the pool were there because they were vacuuming the pool and didn't want us in there stirring up the dirt. We had a little rotation going on at the diving boards trying to one up each other. I did pretty well. It's probably been 15 years since I've actually tried to do any kind of real dive. Not since High School swimming anyway. It was a lot of fun. When we first got here they gave us each a bottle of sunscreen. It's the spray on kind. It seems that yesterday when I put mine on in the morning I srayed everywhere except my right arm. I guess I forgot to change hands while I was spraying. So now I have a sunburned right arm. Oh well. I also played a whole lot of acoustic guitar again. What a great instrument. I can't wait to get back to playing it regularly. I read a Michael Crichton book for a couple of hours and ate an ice cream bar. The ice cream bar was of the chocolate variety and sort of messy. After I was done it looked like I not only crapped my shorts, but my shirt to. Fortunately there's a laundry place here where you can wash your own clothes. We had Lasagna and Spaghetti and some other Italian stuff for dinner. It's going to be disappointing to go back to the Army chow at FOB Justice. My Grandma was at my Parent's house visiting yesterday so I surprised her with a phone call from Iraq. It was good to talk to her. Well, I guess I'll get my busy day of relaxation started. Today is the last day here. We leave tomorrow morning.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to see all the pictures. Was the shop picture one of the Haji shops? It's too bad you can't stay at the "palace" for the remainder of your tour. What book by Michael Crichton are you reading? Is it good? I've only read one book by him and I loved it. Your children and I did have a blast yesterday. We had a mock birthday party and we began planning another one for the next time they come over. Your daughter is a smart cookie with a wonderful imagination. Your son really misses you and talked about you alot. I know that's probably hard to hear but good at the same time, to know they haven't forgotten you, I think I would want to know if I was in your shoes. Still praying for you continually. scm

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you were able to wash your clothes. I am so happy you were able to have some much deserved R&R. I can just envision your diving stunts. One of your high school swim teammates has two sons and they are students of mine. We're getting old, ya know that? :-) KSW

6:17 PM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Stay safe and God Speed...God Bless our troops wherever thay may be.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so glad to be able to talk to you and to know you are resting from this war. I was glad to see they have given you a nice place to relax. It's not too great of a location. Thank God that he is still there in the midst of all our surroundings and protects us in all our ways.TM

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your R&R sounds good so far....too bad it's not in the Caribbean though. Maybe next time. With your wife in tow. How funny it is, but I was so happy to hear that you were playing music. I just imagined your joy at finding the instruments and actually getting to touch and hold and play them. I'm sure they felt good in your hands. I can't help but laugh at the irony of where your "resort" is. I'm sure S.H. never imagined that one of his palaces would be full of soldiers enjoying his (former) wealth. Ah, the joy of irony. Enjoy the rest of your "vacation". M. Pads Coach

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home