Sunday, October 31, 2004

Don't Just Do Something, Sit There

That's what evil in this world hopes we do. It worked in Germany with Hitler, and if we don't do something now it will work in America.

What was it like in school when you were a kid. I'm 31 years old to put things in perspective. When my parents were children the bad things going on in school were things like talking in class or chewing gum in the hallways. When I was in school the bad things were smoking and drinking. Sex was an issue but it wasn't the norm. Now that my children are starting to go to school the bad things are drugs, sex, prostitution, murder. These are things going on in the schools.

This is the last Sunday before the elections and I'm sure many of the sermons have to do with that issue in some way. Some might be about the moral decline of America. Some might be about apathy and inaction. Ours was about inaction. I'd like to share some of the points the Army Chaplin shared in my service and mix them with my own. Hold on while I climb up on my soapbox.

Why are we fighting this war? Because the only thing evil needs to win is for good people to do nothing. If we don't fight it now in Iraq we'll have to fight it later in America. Duty is my responsibility, results are God's responsibility, all I have to do is make the stand and fight. Growing up in my short life time I've seen the morals of our country decline and sometimes felt like there's nothing I can do about it. There really isn't anything I can do about it alone. But if we stood as a nation and said "We won't stand for this any longer" things would change. Since the inception of our nation our foundation of Christian principles has wavered. It wasn't that the world came in and pushed us off course. It's because when the world showed up we stepped aside and let them take over because we didn't want to ruffle any feathers. In the book of Matthew in the Bible God calls us the Salt of the earth. Our Christian faith and morals that our country was founded on were supposed to be the guiding rudder to the ship of America. We were never supposed to be passenger in the journey of our nation, we are supposed to be the navigators. Hope is out there, peace is out there, we just need to stand together and help shape the future towards it.

Well, Now that most people have clicked to a different website I'll tell you what's going on in my world. You may have seen in the news lately that the Department of Defense stopped the Anthrax vaccination program. How does this affect me? Apparently it takes three injections to gain immunity. I've only had the first two. The DoD says they need to pause the program so the FDA can iron out some legal issues. So what does that do to me? I don't know. Can I only touch two dead cows and the third one will give me anthrax? If I get anthrax will it only affect one third of my body? Nobody knows. But as it stands there are no more vaccinations until further notice. I'm not really worried because I know God goes before me.

Now that we have a definite date we're leaving the country it feels much more final. There are lots of emotions in the guys here. Probably in the girls here too, I'm just not around any to see it. Some guys all of the sudden have some terrible medical problems they feel need immediate attention. Fact or convenience? Not for me to say, just seems a little curious.

Anyway, I'm in an introspective mood today and don't mean to bring anyone down. So, if you're an optimist then in the famous words of the oracle from the Matrix, As soon as I walk out of here I'll be right as rain. If you're a pessimist then heed the words of the lead character in the movie All Mine To Give. "Sometimes life's just a puke sandwich."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that "All Mine to Give" was a childhood favorite of yours...but I think that the "puke sandwich" line came from a Barbara Mandrell movie where she was fighting some town to save coal mines or something. It was the nice old man at the filling station who uttered those words when his cat died from the fumes of the gas that was being used to burn the coal mines. Anyway, I enjoyed your comments today.
ksw

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like you we can't stand here and let the world take our faith and right to freedom of religion or any other rights we have as christians. We do need to stand up and fight for what is rightfully ours. I know the power of prayer I have seen it over and over in my life but I know that it is not the only thing that we must do to win this fight. It also takes action on everyones part to win this war in the spiritual and the natural. Thank you for being apart of the warriors willing to fight in the spiritual as well as the natural. We are proud of you. TM

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd better watch out!!
The pastor is coming out of you.
(we already know the writer is out)
When you come home for good, you will be put in a more visable leadership role!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good sermon today, G. I agree with you which is why I try to do a bit more than just vote. However, I won't be doing as much as you. I'll be staying right here instead of defending our country. I don't think the army or anyone else would take me anyway, and if they did, they'd wanna give me back! I met a guy at church yesterday who just returned from Iraq. He was in the navy and was in Iraq for 6 1/2 months. It was interesting talking to him. I guess he belonged to a marine battalion and he said it was 125 degrees there during the summer! So I guess you'll be going at a better time of year. That's a plus. Onto other things, Halloween was good. Your eldest child did not want to stop trick or treating! My youngest child was scared by some punk and freaked him out thoroughly. I was a bit perturbed to say the least. But all in all we had a good time and the costumes were wonderful! Take care. M. Pads Coach

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very proud to say you are in our quiver! I have always been proud of you but this is manifesting the growth we have been seeing in you spiritually. As with all other things our prayer is that you exceed your roots and go on to higher spiritual and ministry levels than your heritage. We love you.zm

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home