Friday, October 15, 2004

Mail Call

First question is about a book I read and if I would recommend it or not. The book is called "A Table in the Presence" by a navy Chaplin named Carey H. Cash. It tells about the first few days of the war when we crossed into Iraq. It talks about some of the spiritual needs the soldiers were facing and some pretty miraculous things that transpired. I would highly recommend this book.

A few people have asked if I'll be able to keep the blog up when I get to Iraq. I should be able to. It seems there are tents set up with internet access and many people have bought satellites and put them on top of buildings for satellite internet access. As one unit rotates out they sell them to the next unit. Believe it or not I've heard of many people having internet access in their rooms. Different kind of war huh? It seems most people are now living in what they call containerized housing units. These are small little two man rooms that are pre constructed and shipped to Iraq. They're supposed to have air conditioning and electricity in them. Your living conditions really depend on where you go in the country. Once I get there I'll try to post some pictures. In order to post pictures on the blog I had to install some software on my computer, since I can't use my computer in the computer lab I can't post any pictures right now.

In regards to voting. I haven't voted yet but will probably next week. Soldiers can send in a national absentee ballot. Apparently it's a little different from the state absentee ballot you would have mailed to you from your state.

I think I have a definite ship out date now. For the last few days they've been telling us we'll be flying out on November 8th. They've said the same date enough times in a row that I believe it to be true. Looks like the adventure will take another step forward shortly.

4 Comments:

Blogger tess said...

hey, i ran across your blog randomly, and i think its great that you're using it to keep your loved ones up to date on whats going on.

just a word of advice -- do you realize that by giving out specifics about deployment dates, equipment, training practices, and living conditions you might be violating OPSEC?

my boy friend is currently in iraq, and he's not even allowed to tell his family the date he's leaving to come home, let alone publish it on a website for the entire world (including the current enemy) to see...

i'm not trying to be critical, i would just hate to see you get in trouble for something you were unaware of.

best of luck to you and yours :)

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also hope we can continue to hear from you. As you depart remember the Lord is with you and as I said before, you are the head, not the tail. We pray more than daily! zm

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a damp cool day in Indiana. Fall days can be like that. Saw a field with hundreds of geese in them, gorging themselves before the next leg of their flight south. The next leg of your journey is into the unknown. None of it will be familiar territory for you have not passed this way before. Jesus leaving his disciples said this to them, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." In the first verse of that 14th Chapter He said,"Let not your heart be troubled, believe in God, believe also in me." It's an unknown journey for all of us. He will take us all through with His peace. His peace to you and to us.
KM

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you will be able to keep writing once you're in Iraq. I really liked your week's update, even though it was really long, it was still really enjoyable. It is true what they say, you really are a good writer. You explain things so vividly, it is very easy to picture. Thanks for answering our questions. I hope your birthday was as good as it could be. Praying for you continually. scm

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home