Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Will We Ever See Kentucky Again

Well part of the cost of the hotel I paid for at Goodfellow has been recouped. The advance I put in for on the 15th of September that was supposed to take 48 hours went into my account on October 4th. They gave me roughly 80% and I should get the rest when I reconcile the entire bill with the Army.

We started the week of here at Ft. Hood with death by powerpoint. The information is useful though. Mostly we've focused on IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) that the enemy likes to put along roadsides to disrupt our movements. Me and three other guys are going through this training together. The plan was that since my unit has already left for Iraq I would fall in with another unit for training. This doesn't seem to be the case any longer. They're just moving us from station to station as individuals in what seems to be a random pattern. Actually the pattern is if there's a place open we go to it. This isn't entirely bad because the teacher to student ratio should be pretty favorable. For those of you with military background you'll be interested to know the field expedient way to disarm an IED is the same way you check to see if all of the gas is out of the air. "Hey lieutenant, come look at this."

Kentucky got his orders today taking him to Ft. Bliss. It seems our paths will likely separate here. There was a list we got ahold of that had me, Kentucky, and a friend of ours from Texas all going to the same place. Well, none of us did. Texas is going to a unit in Mississippi.

There's a rumor going around that we'll get to fire all kinds of weapons while we're here. Contrary to the movies most soldiers only ever fire the M-16. When I was in the first time I had a grenade launcher attached to my M-16. That was pretty cool except since you were carrying all those High Explosive rounds on you nobody wanted to walk near you. Well, one of my personal favorites as far as weapons goes is the Mark 19. This is a fully automatic grenade launcher. The only thing cooler than a grenade launcher is a fully automatic grenade launcher. This thing fires Campbell soup can sized explosives at a rate of something like 200 per minute. Praise the Lord and pass the ammo.

Anyhow. It's rained quite a bit here. Hope it stops before we go out in the field. But, like they say in the Army: If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to post a comment but just have not had much time to do so. I'm glad to hear you finally received some reimbursement on your room. PTL! I'm sorry you and your buddies are getting separated... I know you're glad to finally be out of that room and on your way in your training. Prayers are with you wherever you are. Take Care & God Bless You. Keep safe!
CAP

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am reading the book "A Table In The Presence". Read part of a chapter to our men's Bible study last night....the part about Communion on the battle field. Touched us all. Today as I forged ahead I began to see that the name "Operation Iraqi Freedom" has a prophetic spirit in it. War is Hell and we must never gloss that over. But,Jesus conquered death, hell and the grave. I know this book touched you, it is touching me. I recommend it to all. KM

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home