Monday, October 18, 2004

Gonna Be Gone for a Few Days

I've got some training coming up that'll keep me away from a computer for a few days. I should be back this weekend or so. Just thought I'd let you know so you didn't worry. I'd also like to thank Tess for being my first guest celebrity and being a good sport about it. I don't think I'll be around for mail call this weekend so I'll answer a few questions now.......O.K. one question

How's the chow.

It's here and I get it three times a day. And that's all I have to say about that.

Today has been one of those "do stupid things you've already done a million times because we don't have anything better for you to do" days. There are four or five of us a few days ahead of the others in training. The last few days they've let us do constructive things like read or go to the library or do laundry. Today they decided we should just redo some of the classes we already did just so we would be doing something. They put a guy in charge of us who meant well but didn't really have any sort of plan. This turned into a full day, I repeat a FULL, MIND NUMBING, JAB YOUR EYES OUT SO IT'LL STOP day of listening to some guys recall stories of the stupid things they did that caused a judge to give them the choice between the military or jail. They were pretty proud of the wrong they'd done. I'm not that much older than them but it seemed different when I grew up. It didn't seem like the kids were so blatantly disrespectful. Maybe I'm just seeing a small concentrated sample.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with anything so I'll get on with this.

Have you read about or heard of the Soldiers in Iraq refusing to go on a mission because their equipment was bad? Well how about this. Everyone in my unit that has gotten their gear got body armor. I went through last Wednesday and didn't get any. They said they weren't giving it out here anymore and I'd have to get it later. They couldn't tell me where or when later would be. Well, the group that went trough on Friday got brand new body armor still in the package. I don't know about the other three guys that went through with me but I don't plan on doing to much fighting without body armor. I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually but when it comes to my weapon or body armor I'm not going to take "I don't know" as an answer. I'll let you know what happens.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know God has a plan, but right now with the room rent, the rifle, and the body armor, it looks to this mortal mind that you are now in the catagory of David and Goliath .zm

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you talk about body armour is this head to toe armour or just like a bullett proof vest? I hope more than just a vest. I'd want the whole package. I'm sure you feel the same. TM

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should start weaving your own chain mail. lol


BJM

10:21 AM  
Blogger tess said...

wow, its sucks to see that body armor is still a problem for you guys. i remember when the war started, our boys went months without having any body armor... and the army was so inept at getting it, that the national guard ended up sending them some!!! i hope you have an easier time getting ahold of it!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have connections, Kevin Bacon-esck, for some chain mail. I don't want to guess what the shipping would be on that. Hey, Lord of the Rings has tons left over . . .maybe they could spare on ork breastplate or some such thing. If you really had to go into battle, they would definatly think twice seeing that. OR, we could take up a collection this Sunday and purchase your very own. The ladies could help decorate it. Maybe we should pass that on to the hunters of the congragation.CnH

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home