Sunday, October 17, 2004

Tess is Great

I would like to address the comment left by Tess. If you haven't read it you can look at the first comment to the post titled Mail Call on Oct 15th. First, I appreciate her (I'm assuming it's a her) concern and thank her for looking out for me. Also I think it's cool that she came across the site accidentally. Thanks for posting your comment. Opsec (Operational Security) is a big concern in the military. Some people might remember the phrase from the first and second world war era "loose lips sink ships". Opsec was a concern of mine when I started this blog in the first place. When I got my orders and started to do some research on the internet I came across these things I'd never seen before called bolgs. Some of them were like the one I've made where they keep their family and friends updated, some were political in nature. One blog in particular gave me the most information of any one source out there. His blog was shut down by his chain of command because they felt he was giving out too much information. I thought about the whole blog thing for a while before I actually started mine. In order to make sure I didn't violate any security concerns I decided to use the litmus test of open source news. I wouldn't post anything you couldn't find in a newspaper or on the evening news. I've never said what unit I'm in or where we're going or what our mission is. Any information I've given could be found by doing a search on Google and looking in nothing more than newspaper articles. If I told you what unit I'm in you would even be able to find our deployment schedule along with numbers of troops in each unit. This is all from open sources. I understand your concern and thank you for it. I'll make sure to be extra careful in the future. I also encourage anyone with concerns comments or questions like Tess's to feel free to comment. It also gives me material to write about that I don't have to come up with. In fact I'd like to sing a song to Tess. Please follow along with the melody from Bill Cosby's chocolate cake song. If you don't know it make up your own. Ha Hem.... "Tess is great, She gives me stuff to write about" You sort of have to scrunch the words "write about" together to get them to fit in but it works. Thank you Tess and thank you Bill Cosby.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say you made me laugh with your "Tess is Great" song. I know that Bill Cosby song well and sing it quite often. Thanks for giving me a chuckle.

9:57 PM  
Blogger tess said...

LOL

wow, even i'm impressed :) and flattered at that :) thanx! (yes, i am a her! lol)

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! Cake! Speaking of cake, I'm sure someone has asked this before but since you've moved recently . . how's the chow? When Padre was in a certain unit (wink, wink, say no more, say no more) they would get lobster occasionally. He stopped telling us what they got to eat after that. Poor skunk work boys (and ladies). CnH

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I write this the smell of chocolate walnut brownies baking in the oven is wafting up the staircase into our computer room. Don't know the cake song...but hey I heard the dinger...gotta go the brownines are out of the oven. Yum! Yum! (It is 39 degrees and raining here in Indiana, brrrrr.) KM

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I love the Bill Cosby reference...that's one of my fav. comic routines w/the chocolate cake and the angry mom!

You have a unique sense of humor (which is a compliment) and a great writing style...keep it up! RTN

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home