Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Back to Baghdad

Well I'm back. I didn't anticipate this but it's actually sort of a relief to be back. Not a relief to be here instead of home but just to finally be back after traveling. You know that feeling you have when you come home from a vacation and open your door and just breathe a sigh of relief. It's like that. It's comfortable to get back to a routine. I've said it before but these are the nicest port-o-podies in the world. Honestly I've never seen cleaner. The two days I spent in Kuwait were port-o-pody hell. They were stinky, dirty, and never had toilet paper. That may be OK in the Middle East culture but I prefer toilet paper. I left the west coast of the United States at 6:30 a.m. on Jan 28th. I unlocked the door to my trailer at about 11:00 p.m. on February 1st. I spent two days in Dallas TX and two days in Camp Doha Kuwait with a stop over in Rhein-Main Air Base Germany in the middle. The delays weren't bad, just one more day not in Baghdad. But it was settling to get back to my familiar surroundings at Camp Victory. When my unit picked me up from the airport they told me I didn't have to go into work the next day (today). That was nice, it helped me finish turning the time around from the 11 hour difference. The flight from the States to Kuwait was nice. It was a huge commercial plane with stewardesses and food and everyone got their own row. I picked the center row that was four seats wide so I could lay down and sleep. The two hour flight from Kuwait to Baghdad on a C-130 was the worst part of the whole trip. You sit sideways in a row of "Lawn chair couches" with the legs of the guy facing you right between your legs touching your seat. You're just woven together like a human watch wrist band. The worst part is the seats are just a piece on Nylon slung between two aluminum poles. If that flight was one minute longer I'm convinced my butt cheeks would have fused together.

There seems to be a feeling of validation around camp from the elections. Like what we're doing here actually has some purpose. Some estimates I've heard have participation in the elections at 70+ percent. Could you imagine if we had that much participation in the States. Do you think the campaign strategies would change if the candidates expected everyone to come out and vote? Anyway, in a weird way it's good to be back. I'd rather be home, but if I have to be here, here's not so bad.

When I got back they told me my room mate wasn't coming back at all. He's still in Texas and has to have back surgery. I heard from Kentucky a few weeks back. He's in Iraq now with his unit but that's about all I know. I'll e-mail him shortly and ask him for more details. Then I'll ask him if he cares if I share them. I know his wife was reading the blog early on but I haven't heard from her in a while.

So, since I didn't have to work today and my room mate isn't coming back I think I'll rearrange the room a little bit. He had about 2/3 the space and I had the other 1/3 with his refrigerator and the cleaning supplies on my side. I think I'll go for a little more 50-50. Also, since I only really got to play my Christmas guitar that one day I think I'll have a little "Rock the 'a little bit closer to freedom' world" day. Check out the "Raise Your Goblet of Rock" post if that didn't make any sense.

I found a way to post links to a photo album here on the blog but it didn't work exactly like I thought. It gave the viewer (you) access to change and post pictures which didn't sound like a good idea to me. My wife said she didn't think anyone would care about pictures. If that's the case I won't try anymore options, but if you'd like to see pictures leave some comments and I'll check out some more options.

Well, that's about all the news I've got. Let me know in the comments if you'd like to know anything else I never talk about. I'd also like to use this blog to give people answers to what they're curious about concerning life over here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be interested in pictures if you care to spend the time on it. Also, I noticed on the TV the women in Iraq are going without covers on their faces. Is that a new freedom, or have I just not noticed before? Do you know if the ink on fingers was just to keep track of "revoters" or did they actually fingerprint the voters? Glad you are safe and that you will have more room in your trailer. Hope your roomates' surgery goes well. Will he then get to go home? zm

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures are always great but if you can't post 'em, send 'em via email. I have used them in services on Sundays. It's great you are back "home" to your favorite "potty". The bathroom makes the home! CnH

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I sent you an email instead of a reply to the blog, so I'm not sure if you got this or not. Anyways! Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blogs while I'm at work. They are very entertaining. I print them all up for your "bug man" to read and he enjoys them too. The pictures are great but if they're too much hassel than I wouldn't worry about it. Oh yea, how long were you in Germany? =)leopardlingo

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's great to have pictures. It keeps us connected to you a little bit more. We get to see your world there through your camera lens. Hope all goes well for your roommate. Does he go home after surgery? It's nice to have the trailer to yourself again. You can spread out a little bit. It's nice to know that you haven't lost touch with Kentucky. I wondered what ever happened to him after you left with your company. TM

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the consensus seems to be.....yes on the picture thing. At least it would give you something else to do with your spare time, you know, try to figure out how to do it. But I would enjoy seeing them if you can make it work. Of course, if it requires me to do any work on my behalf then forget it. Anything requiring computer savvy just freaks me out. Glad you made it back safely. Just reading about all your flying makes me sick-flying is not something I like to do at all. Take care, M. Pads Coach

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you posted this a few days ago but I'm slow at every thing lately so why not this. I definitely would love to see pictures. Not just because I am a picture freak and could basically sit for hours and look at anybody's pictures, even if I don't know who, what, when or where, the only thing is the person showing me the pictures has to give me the full story behind each picture, otherwise I don't enjoy them as much. So I vote for pictures, but if it is too much trouble, I understand. Although I am not happy you had to go back to Baghdad, I do look forward to reading your blog again, I have to say your post the other day was a real doozie. I'm glad you expressed how you were feeling, I got emotional reading it, I was sad and mad right along with you. I too know that God can see the big picture while we can only see a portion, God remains in control through it all. Hope you enjoyed your guitar day, any new songs yet? Praying for you daily, scm

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home