Saturday, February 12, 2005

Look Before You Leap

Look before you leap doesn't only apply to jumping and making decisions. It also applies to using port-o-podies. Since I work noon to midnight it's dark for more than half of my shift. There's a row of port-o-podies in front of our building and good old pot-o-pody number two is my particular favorite. The lock works for one thing, also it's not the first one in the row so fewer people pull on the door to check if it's unlocked while you're in it. For tactical reasons there aren't any lights anywhere so it's pretty dark out everywhere. I have a small flashlight I carry around for just such occasions. There are many times you have to wipe the seat off before settling in to do your business. That's just an accepted part of the game. However, you don't usually have to scoop the seat off if you catch my drift. I can understand missing number one, but how do you miss number two? You don't even have to aim? Physics and anatomy make it sort of a given that the deposit will end up in the correct account. How could you possibly miss? Well, someone did. Good old port-o-pody number two is now good old port-o-pody number two for an entirely different reason.

Well, I've been piddling around with the photo album idea and I think it's solved. I have to upload the pictures now but the structure is there. Look at the side bar where the archive are in the next few days for a link you can click to open the photo album. I'm not promising any Pulitzer prize winning stuff here, but I hope you enjoy it. Can you win a Pulitzer for photography, or is it just for journalism? Anyway, it'll be there in a few days. My internet connection has been slow and cutting out the past few days.

I'm starting to get a complex. I've been here for about four months and have had three different rooms. Each room mate has left for one reason or another. Now my new room mate is going to move out. I'm not too broken up though. There is an extra blanket that was in the room when we moved in, so I'm going to make the other bed so it looks like someone lives here. That way if they come through to do any maintenance they'll think there's two guys in here. Having your own room is a good thing if you like to play guitar. My room mate sleeps about 52 hours a day. Every time I'm here he's asleep. Now maybe I can play some more guitar. I've got about four songs toward the album so far. I'm not sure they're all keepers but it's a start anyway.

I'm gonna go work on the photo album now. Let me know what you think once it's up.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is good to hear that the army is doing what they can to give you a room of your own. It will be cool to see the photos when you get them posted. I share them with friends that know you from work. I will keep praying for you and your family. Your son tells me that you owe me a pancake when you get back. I can't wait. JJM

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just talking to TSW today about your port-o-pottie preferences. I mean, how many of us can really say we have a favorite port-o-pottie? I'm just glad you didn't take a picture! Ha! The sun was shining today. Almost all of the snow is melted. I remember you saying that you were expecting some colder temparatures. Does it just get colder at night, or is it starting to be cooler in the daytime, as well? I'm glad you are able to post some pictures. I look forward to the album.
KWS

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have actually experienced the same not in a port-o-pottie but in a McDonalds after "Dead Heads" took over. That's when you just hope for the best and use some disinfectant when you can get it.CnH

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picking the right potty is like picking the right woman:
1) It's hygenically safer to stick to the same one.
2)When you open the door, you never know what you'll be met with.
3)When you stumble in, in the middle of the night, you know it's going to be cold.
Historically women are cleaner then men so put a sign on the door that says "women". Don't leave the seat up or you'll ruin it. RLH:cnh

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with KSW that I am glad you didn't post a picture of this port o pottie situation. You can always post a sign on the door - We aim to please,You aim too please! Management. TM

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home