Saturday, February 19, 2005

On the Road Again, Again

I'll be moving for the fourth time this week. I volunteered for this move though. Can't really say too much about it until after the fact but I can give a few details. I'll either be living in a tent, or these little plywood room things that they've built. There is internet access but not from your room. You can eat chow as many times as you want, only they spell it differently. They spell it MRE. Oh, yeah, it's the rainy season here right now and our living area in a big depression. All this and they even pay you. What a deal. Seriously, I'm excited about the move. I haven't really felt like I've contributed since I've been here. Well there was that one time on the 13th of February. I even marked it on the calendar at work. My boss didn't think it was funny. She doesn't really think anything is funny, especially the fact that I volunteered to go to this new assignment and She's going to have to actually come to work during the days. I really think I'll be able to contribute at this new thing. It's only for a few weeks and then back to the grind. However, there is a rumor floating on the breeze that when I get back from this little vacation in the mud someone else will be in my job and I'll move again to the place they actually do my real job. We'll see what happens. I'd like it if that happened.

Was that last paragraph as hard to follow as it was to write. I'll clear up all the details after we've moved. Don't want anyone planning an attack based on my blog. Once I'm there I'll probably be just as safe as I am right now.

We did have some fun the other night. It was a little slow around evening chow time so Me and two other guys decided to go to the Corps chow hall instead of ours. We'd heard stories about it like it was some magical wonderland where all your dreams come true. When you live in the desert during a war chow is about all you have to look forward to so it tends to take on mythical qualities at times. Anyway, we mounted our trusty Humvee and drove the fifteen or twenty minutes to the area we knew it was in and conducted a "tactical dismounted patrol" in search of the chow hall holy grail. When we walked through the door or quest was rewarded with culinary treasures only dreamed of by mortal men. There were booths you could sit in like real restaurant, and fresh pies for dessert. The lines we like 2 seconds long compared to the 10-20 minute lines in our chow hall. I'm not sure but I think I even saw little chow hall fairies dancing and flying singing songs of pure delight. I wanted to stay there for the rest of my life. Well, until I was done eating anyway. Like all things in the military, the closer you get to the flag pole the nicer the amenities.

I posted a few pictures in the Texas section of the photo album, and I'm almost done with the Camp Slayer section. I'll update the album in a few hours when all the pictures have posted. With this new move I'm not sure when the next time I'll be able to post is so don't worry if you don't hear from me for a while.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you had your fine dining experience before you left for our unknown. Our electritian friend did come to help Dad. A little while ago his twin boys assured my that they didn't get hurt from the sparks that flew out of the main box in the garage. I heard this big explosion and prayed for safety. I hope the rain only falls on the unjust in your new assignment and that your surroundings will cover you from it. You surely know how to keep a mother on her knees! zm

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got to visit the wonderful land of chow. Sounds like the Lord is protecting your family all around. Yikes for zm! Mail is on its way. CnH

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home