Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Rain, Rain go Away

The last week here at beautiful FOB Mahmudiah has been rain, rain, and in between the drizzles we had full on downpours. Everything flooded. Most of the area was at least ankle deep mud. Some of it was knee deep, and there is one part that is still chest deep mud and water. I don't know this from first hand experience, just from observation. Marines will do anything. One of the perks of a flooded FOB is that the water trucks can't get in. No water, no showers. No water, no laundry. Not that it matters. They were supposed to have worked out the laundry issue but I've only been able to do laundry once this past month. So, I went about four days in the same stinky muddy clothes. Then one glorious day the water trucks showed up. I had my laundry done and a shower all in the same day. It was like Christmas, only muddier. On second thought Christmas was muddy too. So, it was just like Christmas.

Let's talk mail. I haven't gotten any for a few months. There are convoys that come here all the time. I look at them with the sad puppy eyes as everyone else is getting their mail but it doesn't help. I called back to my unit on Liberty and they said, "Oh, you have a pile of mail here." "Well, why don't you send it?" I asked in my most annoyed yet don't want to make them mad so they don't send my mail tone. "Yeah, I guess we could do that." Well, I don't want to inconvenience anyone.

Things have been going full bore here in Mahmudiah. It's like we're at war or something. However the end is in sight. The official word came out last week that my Brigade would leave Iraq in September. Woo Hoo. I always liked September, it always had that end of the war feeling to it. Based on my military history I figure September means I'll be home by Christmas.

I have a question for the comments section. My blog is generally light and humorous, but that isn't really how the war is here. I've been toying with the idea of writing a small series about some fictitious characters experiencing the war based on real events. The catch is it would be realistic. War is violent and full of profanity. It would mostly be for me to get some of this stuff off of my chest, but partially for you to get a glimpse of how it really is. Would that be too much for the blog or would you be interested in reading it. I figure it would be about 4 or 5 blog posts worth and would sort of follow a few main characters. I'll probably write it anyway but I'll wait for your comments to see if I'll post it.

Other than that not much going on here. I'll be interested to read your comments.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry your mail hasn't been getting through. Probably because IRR is encrypted in your address somewhere! That means you did not get my special package to help out with the laundry situation. I for one would be interested in your "fiction". It would be hard but really it would give us a more targeted prayer of intersession. Some times we forget to pray for all the troops because we are so concentrated on you. We rejoice in the September news. Christmas will be a really great celebration and I will give you the ornament your kids and I hung on the tree in your honor this Christmas. It will be great!!!!!zm

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you able to get any pictures or your mire? That would be interesting to see. I truly enjoy reading your comments and would love to read some fiction from your quick whit. I trust that you'd keep it appropriate. It sure is good to hear of the possible September return date. I don't know if you heard, but we're going to be grandparents again. Shami's enjoying the first few months of her pregnancy again... I'm sure glad that I was born a male child. We pray for you often, so keep the faith and a jar of vaseline just in case no laundry. Blessings indeed! PF

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to know you might be home for Christmas! It was a sad time last Christmas without you. War is a terrible thing no one wants to go through. I think it would be good to get some things off your chest by writing about your experiences. It will be hard for those of us on this side to read those blogs. We don't really know all that is going on there but I'm sure that these blogs will be a real eye opener for those of us here. Hope the deodorant and laundry and cash flo get resolved. Sounds as though even if we sent you those much needed items they would get put on hold somewhere. TM

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm a few days behind in the blogs. Medical reasons 'ya know. Okay, so you don't know. I'm bbwoken. Anywho, I for one would love to hear the real war. I was always interested in what Pa was willing to tell me about Vietnam. Nana said he told me more than he told her. I'm sure 20+ years going by helped in that. I have always thought war was hell but God has been gracious in letting in a bit of Himself to those willing to see Him. Please, you know me and the Mr. are always willing to be right there and listening to your stories. This will be a great prologue to your first book. Come on. . .you know it's going to happen. This blog has been such an opportunity for the writer to emurge. I would be honored if you shared them. CnH

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home