Friday, March 04, 2005

Would You Do It?

I'm sitting here at the computer shaking my head. I just read an e-mail addressed to me from an Army Recruiter. He was singing the praises of being in the IRR and wanted to know if I was interested in re enlisting. After I dismissed the usual "when pigs fly, when hell freezes over, not on your life" responses I wrote him a cordial reply with a few demands in order for me to re enlist. I really doubt any of them will be met, so I probably won't be re enlisting any time soon. And if I do I'll be a rich person with no possibility of ever being recalled again. I don't think it will happen though.

I got hooked up with a Segovia VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) account the other day. They have these phones set up in the computer lab that you can talk on if you have an account. You go to their website and charge your account up with your credit card and they give you a pin number. I can talk to the States for 4 cents a minute. I think that's less than my long distance plan at home. It's a pretty good connection too. That beats the heck out of the 60 cents a minute for my cell phone.

We're expecting, of all things, a hail storm tonight. I can't really believe it'll happen though. It's pretty calm here and doesn't seem like a storm is coming. Hail is definitely one thing I didn't think I'd see here in Iraq, but stranger things have happened I'm sure.

Well, Someday I'll get to the Haji internet cafe and upload some pictures to the photo album. Until then just picture green tents full of cots with sleeping snoring stinking men, and dirt. That pretty much sums it up. I love it here though. I even volunteered to stay longer if they needed me to. The work environment is so much better. We're working 12 on and 12 off seven days a week and that's fine. There's not really anything to do here anyway. On the flip side, one day is just like the last day which will be just like the next one. The days go fast though.

Some people have asked about mail. We still get it here, it's just a little slower. It has to make it's way to Camp Liberty and get sorted to a bag that comes out to FOB Mahmudiah whenever there's a convoy. I'm sure it'll get here before the war is over.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I surveyed 100 people and the top one answer is on the board...Here is the question: Should GWM re enlist in the IRR? Survey says...NO! :-)
KSW

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nine,Nunca,Nete - No in any language is still NO! GWM should not reinlist again. I don't think there is anything in the world the army would have to entice him to do it again. Especially that enticing $0 dollar bonus incentive they want to give him to stay LOL!Army gotta love them. At least they are persistant. I'll give them that.TM

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely Not!!! Not worth it for you, your wife or your precious children who will only be little for a short while longer. scm

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the humor in your re-inlistment. Be sure to ask for a few million dollars, a super sonic jet, and a life time supply of gummy bears. I am on my way to wino for a week...fun fun fun. And just in case I do not say it enough, I am proud of you.

BJM on the road to FNL homeland

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home